What’s good design?
Here’s Dieter Rams (a German industrial designer) 10 Principles of Good Design
- Good design is innovative.
- Good design makes a product useful.
- Good design is aesthetic.
- Good design makes a product understandable.
- Good design is unobtrusive.
- Good design is honest.
- Good design is long-lasting.
- Good design is thorough down to the last detail.
- Good design is environmentally friendly.
- Good design is as little design as possible.
About Dieter Rams
Dieter Rams was the head of design at Braun, the German electronics giant.
During 40 years working for Braun, he based his design on those 10 principles. Rams was determined to make products which were easy to use and made people enjoy using them. As a designer, he was worried about the state of the world, which he described as “an impenetrable confusion of forms, colours and noises.” Thus he asked himself “is my design good design?” which gave birth to the 10 Principles of Good Design. Rams emerged as one of the most influential industrial designers of the late 20th century. He retired from Braun in 1995.